Building Section

Contact Information

To seek additional information concerning how to complete the complaint form or nature of the correction process, please call (707) 678-7000 ext 1113. Completed forms may be faxed to (707) 678-0960, emailed to the Building Department, or mailed to:

City of Dixon
Building Division
600 East A St.
Dixon, CA 95620

The City of Dixon enforces the following current Building Codes:

2013 California Building Code

2013 California Residential Code

2013 California Plumbing Code

2013 California Electrical Code

2013 California Mechanical Code

2013 California Fire Code

2013 California Energy Code

2013 California Administration Code

2013 California Green Building Code

2013 California Referenced Standards Code

CALgreen Construction Waste Requirements

The 2013 California Green Building Code requires construction waste and demolition materials (C&D) be directed to Certified Facilities. Below is the procedure to recycle C& D waste.

Step 1: Decide whether to self haul your C&D waste or use a Recycling provider in your area.

Step 2: Fill out the appropriate C&D Debris Diversion Plan (Self-Haul or Solano County Haulers) and submit to the Building Division (available at Building Department counter).

Step 3: Recycle the C&D debris generated from your project and save the weight receipts from the landfill/transfer station.

Step 4: Fill out the C & D Diversion Report Form.

Step 5: Submit your C&D Diversion Report form and the weight receipts BEFORE scheduling your final inspection. Complete C&D Report forms and receipts may be submitted to the City of Dixon Building Division Office (City Hall).

Link to Recycle.Solano County Guide

Accessibility Complaint Procedure

Accessibility complaints concerning public property, shall be submitted to the City of Dixon Building Department either in person, by mail, fax, or email on the approved form (PDF). As an option, the complainant may remain anonymous. Please provide as much information as possible about the problem to assist in our evaluation of the reported violation. Within seven days, the Building Department will formally acknowledge receipt of the complaint to the complainant.

Universal Design Brochure (PDF)

Universal Design involves designing products and spaces so that they can be used by the widest range of people possible. Universal Design evolved from Accessible Design, a design process that addresses the needs of people with disabilities. Universal Design goes further by recognizing that there is a wide spectrum of human abilities. Everyone, even the most able-bodied person, passes through childhood, periods of temporary illness, injury and old age. By designing for this human diversity, we can create things that will be easier for all people to use.

Initial Review / Survey

An initial permit history review will be researched by the Building Department to determine the age of building, remodel history, and valuation of projects. This review will further determine applicability of Title 24 based upon new construction or remodeling performed since 1982 for Title 24 and 1969 for American Standards association standard.

The Building Department will conduct an initial survey within 21 days to determine whether the problem is an actual violation of the California Building Code accessibility standards. The California Code of Regulations (CCR), Title 24, results of this initial survey will be provided to you via telephone or email contact.

Resolution Process

Once validated, complaints are mandated to be resolved within 90 days from the initial survey date. Be aware that the above mentioned 90 days resolution process shall be in one of the following forms:

  • A binding agreement has been reached with the owner to complete any construction necessary to correct the violation within a determined reasonable time
  • The City of Dixon building official has instituted legal action to compel the owner to correct the violation
  • The code violation has been corrected

Private Property Complaints

Complaints concerning private property shall be directed to the property owner of the lot in which the violation exists. The Building Department can help to inform the complainant of this process. Complaint forms are available at the Community Development Counter.